Choosing an Certified Intervention Professional

At CanAm Interventions, we pride our services on professionalism.

Patricia Pike CEO of CanAm Interventions is a supervisor and an professional mentored to many professionals offering intervention training and supervision for other professionals obtaining a Certified Intervention Professional (CIP) through the Pennsylvania Certification Board. Intervention professionals guide families, friends, and others through an intervention process where the substance user is encouraged to accept help.

Certified Intervention Professional (CIP) are trained and skilled in family systems and successful intervention techniques. The interventionist supports educates, provides guidance, direction, and training, as well as the facilitation of the intervention and aftercare services.

  • Professional interventionist is an expert on addiction and/or other mental health issues.
  • Interventionists who are also mental health counselors spend years in school, studying both addiction and psychology.
  • This first place to look for a certified intervention professional is to verify a credential is through the Pennsylvania Certification Board.
  • Search using the professional’s first and last name, CIP, state. It will show if the professional is a CIP and active or non-active.

Intervention Professional organizations such as;

Credentials/ Degrees

Many Certified Intervention Professionals will have years of work experience for the treatment of substance abuse and/or mental health also may have other degrees.



  • Degrees from an accredited college/university recognized by Higher Education Accreditation.
  • Qualifying work and education experience as a professional
  • Certified Intervention Professional (CIP)
  • Licensed Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LAADC)
  • Licensed Therapist (MFT) trained in interventions
  • Masters in Substance Abuse Counseling
  • Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LSCW)
  • California Association of Alcohol and Other Drug Counselors
  • Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor (CADC-II)
  • BA in Psychology (Bachelor of Arts)
  • Ph.D. “Doctor of Philosophy
  • R.N.s Master’s in Nursing Education
  • Law Degree

Checklist on Hiring an Interventionist

• Certified Intervention Professional (CIP)
• Substance Abuse Degrees
• Mental Health Degrees
• Accredited College/University Degrees
• Member of professional organizations
• Academic background, training, and/or experience background
• Malpractice Insurance
• Understanding Evidence-Based Treatment
• Experience treating addiction, mental health, trauma and families
• Assisting families to develop a strong balanced recovery plan
• Carrying a caseload of clients in a treatment center for at least 6000 hours of work experience
• Intervention process that involves pre-intervention work
• Interventionist can ensure a better intervention outcome
• Experience working complex clients and families wounded by addiction / mental health

For more information on intervention services:

Speak Your Mind


103 Labrea Way
San Rafael, CA 94903

Got Questions?
Send a Message!